Monday, July 20, 2009

Thoughts After Sunday

I’m not a religious person. I’ve never been and I don’t think I will ever be. But I want to find and define my spirituality - a spirituality that, I hope, will not be dominated by dogmas and concepts of an omnipotent god, but by faith rooted in love, justice and peace. My quest for spirituality is a journey not towards salvation, but towards meaning and truth. Salvation will come if and when I find my meaning and my truth.

Whenever pressed to indicate my religion in some forms or documents, I write catholic, because, technically, I still am. I have not been converted or baptized to another faith or religion, and one time when I wrote down “ecumenical” on the corresponding space, I was asked what I meant, and, most of the time, explaining about one’s spiritual beliefs can be a really tedious undertaking. So, yes, I’m a catholic with a small c.

I don’t attend mass, but I do go to church. I especially like going to adoration chapels because these are quiet places where I can have conversations with my Creator. I’ve taken to reading the Bible, but I’ve also started reading some books that tell me of things related to the Judaism and the Christianity but are not explicitly mentioned in the Bible. Things like the possible connection of Venus worship to the two religions, but I can’t write about them now because I don’t know enough.

I believe that there is only one God who made everything and everyone. A God who has always encouraged diversity, so He/She/Neuter has allowed everyone to call Him/Her/Neuter by all sorts of names and worship Him/Her/Neuter through different ways and means.  I also believe that there are no “chosen people”, not because I have something against those who claim to be, but because that concept implies a God who discriminates. No, the God who created me does not play favorites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment